Before Class: Find a website that uses games to teach about reading or writing. Add a link to the site on your blog. Write a post describing the site and how you might use it in your classroom situation.
Harrington's Pinterest
Surprisingly I came across a pinterest that had different ideas for reading/writing games. It seems that more teachers are using pinterest to express ideas for classrooms. This is a great forum to share ideas and effective methods of teaching. In Ms. Harrington's pinterest alone, I have found many activities well-worth trying and adapting for a classroom. I imagine there are many other activities or classroom ideas on pinterest to explore. Here are a couple that I found to be such great ideas:
Donut Words (Students have a donut with a blank spot/the hole as a missing vowel. Students move the donut to incorporate the vowel on a page and sound out the word)
Digital Picture Frame (Students cycle through sight words that display through a slideshow)
Also as a child, I recall playing Word Munchers that helped me. I know that games are an effective way to draw the child into the material. My only concern would be that it builds children into only associating learning with games so there would have to be a good balance within the classroom.
I love the idea that Pinterest is being used by teachers for ideas. I know I use Pinterest for inspiration if I an trying to be creative in a certain area. The only thing I would avoid when using something like this as an inspiration, is being careful not to use it as your main curriculum guide. It is good to have inspiration and get creative, but there is a point where simplicity is the best thing you can do for a student.
ReplyDelete