Monday, February 25, 2013

Reflection #4


I had been seeing the growing amount of cases of toddlers interacting with technology.  It seems that parents are allowing their children access to their phones for games or movies especially during long car rides.  When I babysat, I had left my phone on the counter and a 4 year old was asking whether or not it was an iphone.
Children + Magazines
It is a bit sad that there were some children poking and prodding at magazines as if they were ipads.  I wonder if there will be new books based off of parenting with technology.  It seems that with our world going in this direction, our whole society will have to have a new list of rules and social etiquette that will dictate how much is too much technology, how to behave with all these new technologies, etc.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with the social etiquette with phones and technology. Not only do I see this problem with children but with parents. I hate when I see parents on their phone instead of paying attention to their children. Too many times have I seen a child pulling at their parent and the only thing that the parents has on their mind is finishing up that e-mail or text conversation.

    I also nanny, and the parents I work for are really good at limiting their children's screen time. They never let their children play on their phone and watch too much television. I think that there can be something to say about the children who have limited screen time. I know that they are more active and find ways to entertain themselves other than with technology.

    I like you thoughts here:)

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so interesting! I am a nanny as well and it is a constant battle for me having to steal my phone back from the children. On the one hand I think it is pretty cool that they know how to do far more than I ever will on my phone and thy are only 10 years younger, but I am also concerned to what may happen to their social skills if they are always so focused on their devices?

    ReplyDelete