Generation IM
It was helpful to have the tips of integrating the technology into the classroom. The article addressed "A Universe of Potential" which describes the virtual world as a rich learning environment that isn't as high stakes as real world school. (Sheehy) I had never thought of the virtual world as an environment. With this thought, it only means an ability to create opportunities of growth only limited by imagination. Can we truly put children on a level playing field equal to their peers? We have been talking so much about socio-economics and the effect it has on educational growth. Does technology transcend the trouble of socio-economic problems and break the inequality of privileges?
______
Applying some of the tips that were given in leading classrooms with specific activities, students can produce a lab on another level. With a general theme, students can collaborate online or create their own experiment. Then having students share their findings in a blog, within a forum or social network, podcasts, update wikis, etc., they would be able to match their data or analyze information from other experiments quickly and efficiently. Students could also post graphs and charts so other students can track their progress. Perhaps students can even add another factor by having a poll that would affect the choices made in the experiment.
I find your thoughts about socioeconomic status and technology fascinating. We in America are constantly talking about education as the great equalizer. You propose that technology could potentially fulfill that role. I can't help but wonder what technology and education could do hand-in-hand.
ReplyDeleteMy only question is how could poverty-stricken areas get their hands on typically expensive technology?
I really think that your ideas for integrating technology in the classroom are great. I mean, while writing the blog for week six, I couldn't figure out how to integrate technology except for the smart board, and internet. I think having the students blog is a very awesome idea, esspecially for me in an English classroom. I don't know why I didn't consider it earlier. Through reading your post, I started developing ideas of how blogging or using wikis would work really well in my own classroom, so thank you for that.
ReplyDelete