Saturday, January 19, 2013

Week 1

I am not one of those people who had grown up knowing exactly what I wanted to do with my life.  It is strange how things just fall into place; hindsight leads me to know that God directed the moment where that changed.  I had gone to Kirkland to meet with a friend for coffee and stopped by the pre-school in which she had just started working.  The director of the school came over and gave me a tour of the school, and before I knew it, I was employed there that following Monday. After a few weeks, I just felt a joy that I had never experienced before and knew that teaching was the only job for me.

I think when technology is used well in a classroom, it can not only add to the effectiveness and efficiency of the  process but also change the dimensions of learning.  I find that my strength is in thinking outside of the normal ways of presenting material, so I am looking forward to enriching the imagination, development, and expression of education for children.  My only fear of technology is that it may just widen the gap of knowledge and opportunity even more between the socio-economic groups.  We might be looking at the provision for areas of low-income, but there are others in between (just above the low income threshold) who might not have the opportunity to have new technology.

2 comments:

  1. Annette, That is a great story about how you developed a love for teaching. I am sure this class will enhance your understanding of technology, but I hope you never lose your sensitivity to the different circumstances all our students face. That will enable to you to truly meet their needs. Are you still working at that daycare?
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly my schedule became too busy to allow room for work, so I left after 4 years. The school has been given by the city the opportunity to expand, so we might hear some great things about them since they are nearby!

    ReplyDelete